The CFWA supports Community Umpires and the Community Umpiring Round.
Staged in conjunction with the AFL, the Round is designed to increase awareness of umpiring as an alternative to playing.
Past Initiatives include:
- WAFL and AFL Umpires to attend Junior Umpiring Clubs
- Players and Coaches shake the Umpires hands at the beginning and end of each match (at all levels)
- Players and Coaches form a guard of honour for the Umpires (at junior level only)
- Coaches address the players and spectators on the Boundary line highlighting the importance of Umpires to the game (juniors only)
- Junior Umpires will walk out with the AFL Umpires at Optus Stadium
- Every WAFC staff member will attend community matches to personally thank umpires for the valuable role they play
The WAFC initiated the Umpire Appreciation Round in 2019 after a young umpire was assaulted by a spectator at a junior match in Thornlie.
The date for 2024 is yet to be decided.